In early 2003, the association’s Executive Committee completed an effort to update the association’s By-Laws. This effort was led by Treasurer Bob Littell.
The Executive Committee approved its final draft at its monthly meeting on January 22, 2003. The Executive Committee Draft was presented to the full membership at the association’s winter meeting on January 29, 2003. A final vote was held on the update at the association’s spring meeting on April 30, 2003. A 2/3 vote was required.
Click the following link for the full text of the association bylaws: Yorktown Civic Association Bylaws (adopted April 30, 2003).
Summary of By-laws Update
For the past several months the Executive Committee has been updating the Association’s bylaws, which date from 1949. Even though we’ve been known as the Yorktown Civic Association for many years, the old bylaws used the original Northwest Arlington Civic Association name. Some of the other updates include:
- a statement of objectives and activities of the association
- provision for four elected officers – President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer – with terms of office set at two years
- specific duties and responsibilities for each officer
- an Executive Committee composed of the 4 elected officers and 7 members elected at large
- formal procedures for nominating and electing officers and at-large members of the Executive Committee
- updated “standing rules” or procedures for the conduct of meetings
- description of the boundaries of the association as recognized by Arlington County