https://yorktowncivic.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/yca-meeting-notes.jpg 400 1000 Campbell Maloney /wp-content/uploads/2018/01/lca-civic-logo-2.png Campbell Maloney2021-01-28 14:35:252021-01-28 17:05:13Meeting Notes – January 27, 2021
Minutes of the January 27, 2020 Yorktown Civic Association General Membership Meeting
- A meeting of the Yorktown Civic Association was held virtually. Brian Young, Secretary, compiled these minutes.
- Meeting attendees include: Brian Young; Amelia Frenkel; Anne Bodine; David Coia; David Friedman; David Haring; Jeanne Mershon; Matt Duckery; Michelle Winters; Mike Cantwell; Peter Rousselot; Rene Sollod; Terry Costello; Craig Mastrangelo; Matthew Cleaveland; Mehul Vora; Campbell Maloney; James Churbuck; Karen Hardee; Ginger Brown; Rick Epstein; Margie Bell; Rick Epstein; Susan Kerin; Terry Costello; Dave Schutya.
- Mike Cantwell nominates Brian Young to serve on the Executive Board of the YCA and as the Secretary for the YCA. Craig Mastrangelo seconded the motion. The motion carries unanimously on a voice vote.
Special Guest – Matthew Duckery, Arlington County Code Enforcement
- Mr. Duckery, of Arlington County Inspection Services, addressed code enforcement for Arlington County, which enforces Virginia’s Property Maintenance Code. The County has eight inspectors to survey all land within the County borders and strives to perform inspections in response to complaints in 3-5 business days. Code inspectors are not permitted to reveal the identity of complainants – that information is confidential. Inspector Duckery may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those wishing to lodge complaints may call 703-228-3232 or email email@example.com. The phone number for Arlington County Environmental Services, which inspects permeable driveways, is 703-228-3883.
Special Guest – Peter Rousselot, Arlingtonians for Our Sustainable Future
- Mr. Rousselot spoke on behalf of Arlingtonians for Our Sustainable Future (ASF), a community advocacy group concerned with sustainable development. He addressed many of the issues raised in his Arl Now column of January 27, available electronically here: https://www.arlnow.com/2021/01/27/peters-take-arlington-flying-blind-in-planning-for-critical-infrastructure/. Mr. Rousselot discussed projected budget deficits and other impositions on public resources resulting from anticipated population growth as well as suggested public policy solutions. Citizens may contact ASF at firstname.lastname@example.org and may obtain additional information at www.asf-virginia.org. Ginger Brown, Executive Director of Lee Highway Alliance, also addressed many of the public policy challenges raised by Mr. Rousselot. Ms. Brown may be contact at Ginger.email@example.com. Michelle Winters, the Executive Director of Alliance for Housing Solutions, also spoke to these issues. She may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Winters referenced a housing study available at https://housing.arlingtonva.us/housing-arlington/housing-arlington-affordable-housing-master-plan-review/. The speakers took questions.
Lee Highway News
- Mike Cantwell discussed developments on Lee Highway, particularly including the site on the corer of George Mason and Lee Highway. Mr. Cantwell reported that the new tenant provides business services such as printing and virtual meeting facilities.
- Mr. Cantwell addressed crime in the YCA borders and stressed preventative measures such as security measures and ensuring that residents lock car doors.
- A Treasurer’s report was deferred until the next meeting.
Future YCA Meeting
- The YCA aspires to hold an outdoor meeting in March or April. Details will be forthcoming.