Minutes of the April 19, 2023 Yorktown Civic Association General Membership Meeting
On April 19, 2023, the Yorktown Civic Association held a general meeting at Yorktown High School. David Friedman, David Herring, Campbell Maloney, Mehul Vora, Caryn Wagner, and Mike Cantwell were in attendance, with Brian Young reporting the minutes.
ARLINGTON COUNTY ELECTIONS
- Mr. Cantwell reported on the upcoming elections, including the mechanics of rank choice voting. Early voting starts May 5 and the primary will be held on June 20 and the deadline for filing paperwork to run as an independent.
- We did not receive any volunteers for the Neighborhood Day. We plan to hold an event in October.
MISSING LINK SIDEWALK PROPOSAL
- The Callsen family has nominated East side of Florida Avenue between 27th Street North and 26th Road North for consideration for a “missing link” sidewalk, which would connect non-contiguous sidewalks on that block. It was resolved to put the proposal to a vote during the July 12 General meeting.
MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY PLANS
- Mr. Cantwell described Marymount University’s proposal to build a sports field on 26th Road and Old Dominion. A representative of Marymount University will be present at our July 12 meeting
SMART STREET CAMPAIGN
- Mr. Cantwell described the County’s Smart Streets Campaign, which includes installation of stop signs on Little Falls near Nottingham Elementary.